Friday, November 7, 2008

Have You Received His Image In Your Countenance?

When I was baptized, almost nineteen years ago, my life completely changed. Everything about me changed. I felt like a flashlight that had just had LED bulbs installed and super-charged batteries. I was super-Ali. Mega Me. I beamed like a light shot from earth directly into the heart of Heaven.

But, then the bulbs grew dim, the batteries began to fade and, well, my light that had shone so brightly just began to peder out.

I guess I know logically what should help me shine brighter, but still I struggle. The other night I was praying that I could receive Christ's image in my countenance, that I could let the light of Heaven shine through my eyes.

When I climbed into bed, I picked up my scriptures and started reading from where I had left off last. It turned out that I was on Alma 5, which if any of you remember, is an amazing chapter that speaks directly to what I have been feeling.

26 And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?
27 Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?
28 Behold, are ye stripped of pride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God. Behold ye must prepare quickly; for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand, and such an one hath not eternal life.
29 Behold, I say, is there one among you who is not stripped of envy? I say unto you that such an one is not prepared; and I would that he should prepare quickly, for the hour is close at hand, and he knoweth not when the time shall come; for such an one is not found guiltless.
30 And again I say unto you, is there one among you that doth make a mock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions?
31 Wo unto such an one, for he is not prepared, and the time is at hand that he must repent or he cannot be saved!
32 Yea, even wo unto all ye workers of iniquity; repent, repent, for the Lord God hath spoken it!
33 Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you.

There's more, and if you've been feeling at all like me, then I encourage you to read Alma 5 in it's an entirety. At one point I gave up trying to underline what was important to me and just put stars at the chapter heading because it is all meaningful.

But from this segment of scripture, I learned a little of what I need to do, what I can do, in order to receive a larger portion of the Spirit, to be a more willing instrument in God's hands.

First, I need to remember to be humble. To strive to be humble. Remember to Whom I have to thank in all things, for all things.

And with that humility, I need to remember that I am nothing without Him. That isn't empty talk, either. I was twenty one years old when I joined the Church--I know perfectly well who I was before the missionaries found me and taught me the gospel and I was nothing. Really. I was on a one-way trip to Nowhere Land and I was on the express train. Pride is my enemy and threatens to derail me.

Next, envy is my enemy. Be grateful for what I have, appreciate it, cherish it, and envy won't hold me back from fulfilling my destiny.

I should be kind to others, strive to ease their pain, be good to them. Don't gossip about another, or seek to hurt them in any way.

I need to repent always.

And finally, I need to remember that His arms are reached out to me still. He is always ready to hold me to Him, to bless me, to help me shine.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I loved this post, Ali. It does speak to me about things I've been thinking about. I also think pride and envy are my greatest enemies. Why is it so hard to get past them? Thank you. I am going to go re-read Alma 5.

ali cross said...

You're welcome! I wish I could always feel like I did when I was first joined the church ... why is it so hard to keep that fire burning in our hearts? I so love the gospel, that isn't a question. I just think apathy is a big problem for me. I was hoping maybe if I could find a few things to actively work on, it would help me. I hope it helps you too!

Anonymous said...

Ali,
I was so moved by your post it goes right along with things I have been thinking about and discovering. I think apathy is something we all struggle with. It is the natural man in us. But I think when we can have reminders from the spirit like the one you received and are able to rededicate ourselves then we can avoid a fate like the Nephites. I always reflect on the cycle found in the BOM: from captivity, bondage, humbled, trusting in the Lord, increased faith, freedom, prosperity, pride, captivity, bondage. The cycle is over and over again in the BOM. I used to think it was just civilizations that did this-but we do it as individuals too. We may not be in bondage in the ways they were but we can be in bondage in so many other ways-the shows we watch, our thoughts, the way we spend our time, our relationship to others and things. (all things I am working on :) All of them can lead us away from the Savior. So get excited that you stopped yourself in the cycle. Recognize we must constantly rededicate ourselves to the Savior. It is not a sign of weakness to have to do this but is part of being a natural man. When we cease to rededicate ourselves or even recognize the need then we are in trouble. The last thing I was thinking of was your desire to keep the fire burning. I think it has to do with gratitude. I know when I am full of true gratitude I can't help but thank the Lord for everything in my life the good and bad equally-I have such a strong desire and fire in my heart to be grateful for all things and to not let a moment pass by that I am not in His service-whether in great or small ways. That is how I try to keep that fire alive. Sorry for the long comment, but your posting was incredible and meant so much. Thank you. N

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony. You don't know me but like you I had my flashlight go dim in my life and this past week has been a reminder of that and as I went to the temple to remind myself of what life is about and who sustains me the most and always will, I was brought to my knees in humble prayer thanking my Heavenly Father for a Loving and Merciful Savior. His arms always carry me through trials and help me remember that blessings are because of the Savior.
Karen Wicke
Phoenix, AZ

ali cross said...

Noelle, thank you so much for that thoughtful comment. I really appreciated it because I hadn't considered the perspective of a individuals following the pattern of the BOM characters. That we all ebb and flow in our dedication to Father and His commandments. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this struggle!

ali cross said...

Karen, thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I love going to the temple - it's the best ways to charge those batteries!