Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The rights of a woman....

My calendar today has the following saying: "Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." -Lin Yutang, as I pondered on the date, the history that was being made today with it being election day & all, I thought of all the 'rights' women have been given over the years & was so happy that someone thought of motherhood being the greatest.
I am reminded of Sister Beck's conference address about "Mother's Who Know" from last year's fall conference. I love that article!!
I am grateful that I have been blessed to be a mother. I am honored that I am trusted with such an important calling in life. As Sister Beck stated: "The responsibility mothers have today has never required more vigilance. More than at any time in the history of the world, we need mothers who know...mothers need not fear. When mothers know who they are and who God is and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children." I feel so comforted to know that I will have great power and influence over my boys, that they will know to whom they can turn to in order to find example, love, strength, comfort, peace & joy.
And I am grateful for the example my own mother has set for me, for the opportunity to learn, grow, mature & become a daughter of God by watching my own mother. I am amazed the older I get & the more experiences that motherhood brings to me how much my mother actually DID know!! I am so pleased to know that she too is a MOTHER WHO KNOWS!!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Thank you. Sometimes we get bogged down with the complaints that motherhood can bring. It helps me so much to remember that it is one of the greatest rights, privileges, and blessings we have in this life.

Maleen said...

Truly it is good to remember how privileged we are to be mothers. I am raising four girls and sometimes I feel more pressure to be a good mother since I want my girls to have a good example to look to when they have families of their own. I am trying to raise mothers of the next generation which will probably be harder than the task now. I need to put aside my problems and slight patience and glory in the task of motherhood.

ali cross said...

I waited a really long time to be a mom. Nine years with many losses before. I thought I would never get to be a mom. But I did get that blessing, and now when my two boys pile on me and squeeze me tight, I think I might burst from all the love I hold in my heart for them.

I hope I can grow to be a Mother Who Knows. I hope I can help them grow into the kind of men they need to be.

You are so lucky to have had a Mom like that, Ali. (great name, btw!) I bet you WILL be a mom like that to your own kids too. I hope I will be too!