Monday, November 3, 2008

As for me in my house....

A couple years ago we made a conscious choice to get rid of cable and satellite television. We found it was taking up too much of our time and we were all gathering around the TV every night instead of going to bed and preparing for the next day. It was with much regret I must confess. It was eased by the fact that we happened to find out that a couple of our favorite shows were actually available on the Internet. So we were able to still enjoy those occasionally and it was not such a huge focus for us. A few months ago I overheard some women raving about a certain series that has been around for awhile and is very popular. I thought I would check it out and see if it was available on the Internet. It was-in fact the entire previous season was also available. Suddenly every lunch time I was sitting down and watching these episodes. Totally immersed in the serious drama. Currently we are in a new season and they have decided to take the show in a path that I can no longer condone. The writers are very good at making subtle moral and political points that are not in accordance to the gospel standards. As I sat in church and fasted yesterday I thought on the things that were holding me back from reaching my full potential and the things that were also keeping the spirit from being more fully in my life. Immediately my mind thought of these 2 shows I have been very dedicated to. I realized that some days I will let my scripture reading slide but if I know another episode is on I will clear my schedule to make sure I have "time" to watch it. More than anything in my life I want to be worthy to feel in the influence of the Holy Ghost to have him as my constant companion. To be able to kneel down to pray and not have my head full of the latest drama from these shows.
There is a scripture that came to my head that helped me to know what I needed to do, it is: Josh. 24: 15

15 ... choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

The adversary is so cunning in how he very unwittingly finds ways to distract us and to separate us from the Holy Ghost. After fasting yesterday I made the decision that I would not watch these shows anymore. I have to confess this is much harder than I would like it to be. I also am choosing to write about it to hold myself accountable to the decision that I have made. I know it will help me draw closer to my Heavenly Father and that is what I desire most of all.

3 comments:

Dan Olsen said...

I remember in one stake conference that the visiting General Authority commented, "Those of you that travel on business. When you get into your hotel room can't you just put a towel over your T.V. and maybe a picture of your family on top of the towel?"

I tried it and found myself drawing much closer to the Lord. I had to replace my T.V. time with something, so I loaded general conference talks and religious music into my I-Tunes account on my laptop. I started listening to that while inhotel rooms on business instead of channel surfing.

To your point, choosing to get rid of time stealing and spirit stealing activites is always a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the other suggestions and encouragement. :) N

Maleen said...

Good for you. I got so busy this Fall that I didn't get the TV turned on to watch my favorite show. I miss it sometimes, but I feel so much better in the evening when I spend a little more time reading to my children instead of hurrying them to bed so I can watch TV. In fact, I haven't even looked up my show on the internet because I don't want the addiction in my life. I am very proud of you. It will get easier with time.