Monday, November 24, 2008

The things I'm thankful for

It is Thanksgiving time, and there are 2 things especially right now that I've learned to be grateful for. The first thing is music. I love gospel music. I love listening to sacred, inspirational and heart warming music. I love hearing the lessons that are taught through the beautiful lyrics. I love singing the hymns and letting the music fill me up with the light and spirit of Christ. I believe when we're down and struggling, that music can lift us up. I believe that music can be a light in the darkness, an answer to our prayers. The second thing I'm grateful for is inspiration and answers to prayers. I love knowing that we are instruments in God's hands. I love knowing that we can be the answer to a strangers prayers and that a stranger can be the answer to ours.

I have had a few certain things on my mind lately, and I have been praying for comfort and answers. I have been trying to be diligent in reading my scriptures and following the spirit, but up until now I had felt like my prayers had not been answered. I was sitting at my home today instant messaging a friend of mine on my computer. We were just catching up with each other when he posted a link to youtube in his message. I was suprised he had done so, but clicked on the link to find a church hymn. I sat and listened to the words and music to this beautiful song, let it fill me up and cried as I finally realized the answer to my prayers.

I know that answers come to each person in their own way and that sometimes the answers aren't what we expect and don't come in ways we expect. That was the case today. I am grateful for a friend who was in tune with the spirit and followed the prompting he received to share that song with me. I asked him why he had shared it and he said he just felt like he should. I know that if we pray and remain faithful, that our answers will come. They may not come as quickly as we'd like, they may not be exactly what we want to hear, and they may not come in the way we expect, but if we ask the answers will come. Of this I am sure.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

You're so right - the answers do come in unexpected ways. I'm always amazed at how things just seem to fall into place somtimes.

ali cross said...

What a sweet experience Kayla. I feel the same way about music and have often received comfort and guidance through them.