Monday, October 27, 2008

My cup runneth over...

I am so glad Melanie decided to create this blog. For a long time I have been stuck at the same spot on my families' blog-absolutely paralyzed with the sheer enormity of how much I need to catch up and lamenting on all I am missing. But I had also for a long time wanted a place I could share personal, amazing revelations that have changed my life. So thank you Mel and I look forward to sharing in reading and writing!

I love being a member of the LDS church. Especially because we are asked to do things and be a part of things we perhaps would not had we not been a part of this amazing organization. I recently was asked to be a guest speaker for an YW Evening in Excellence. The topic was Is His image in your countenance? I prepared as much as I could and then the week before I got really sick. I don't get sick too often, so when I do it takes my body awhile to recover. But I prayed so earnestly that I would be able to talk about the things they needed most. I slept most of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday while I wasn't taking care of my kids or blowing my nose. Then Wed. I somehow got up enough energy to really begin to put it all together. Bit by bit, piece by piece, it started coming together. An hour before I was supposed to give my presentation I was still editing. Finally I felt as if I had a working presentation. I arrived, put all my stuff out, had the opportunity to watch the girls display their accomplishments and then it was time for me to speak. I uttered a quick prayer and began. Suddenly it was no longer me but what the Savior wanted those girls to hear and know. Specific quotes I had initially planned on skipping over came to the forefront of my mind and I knew which lines to spend some time on and which to bear personal testimony of. It was incredible. All felt uplifted and edified. The reason I post about this is because I learned once again if we allow ourselves to be instruments in the Lord's hands He is able to accomplish great works through us. We are his arms and hands here and amongst one another. My heart overflows that my Savior has given me the gift of teaching and then magnifies it beyond all I could ever hope for. To know that you have touched others lives in such a personal way-truly I feel honored and so grateful.

Lately, in my own life I have become so aware of my own personal angels- those that are instruments in the Lord's hands in my life. While I was so sick my VT found out and brought my family dinner. I was so thankful, as were my starving boys-:) It wasn't a big deal to her but it was to me. Other times I have heard a scripture or someone has shared a personal example from their life and it has been the exact thing I needed to hear- the answer to my prayer through another. It has truly testified to me again and again that the Lord is so aware of each of us individually and knows us so deeply and personally-He knows our needs and our wants our fears and desires and He wants to be a part of our lives in everything. If we allow Him He will take our talents, the desires of our hearts and He will allow us to be instruments in His hands to touch more people's lives than we ever could have imagined, especially those of our own families.

"I fear you sisters do not realize in the smallest part the extent of your influence for good in your families, in the Church, and in society. Your influence for good is incalculable and indescribable. President Brigham Young said: “The sisters in our Female Relief Societies have done great good. Can you tell the amount of good that the mothers and daughters in Israel are capable of doing? No, it is impossible. And the good they will do will follow them to all eternity.” I truly believe you are instruments in the hands of God in your many roles, especially that of motherhood." James E. Faust

The last thought I want to leave is a favorite quote from Sister Hinckley. It sums up exactly what I have been thinking and feeling these last few days and after my opportunity to speak.

“We are all in this together. We need each other. Oh, how we need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young. And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old. It is a sociological fact that women need women. We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other. These friendships are a necessary source of sustenance. We need to renew our faith every day. We need to lock arms and help build the kingdom so that it will roll forth and fill the whole earth.”

I hope each of you know how much you are needed in small and large ways; how aware the Lord is of you personally in your own life and how if you will allow Him he will show you how much you are valued and loved until your cup runneth over because you cannot contain all the gratitude you feel. -N

5 comments:

Maleen said...

I just read recently on someone's blog that they too felt inspired as they prepared diligently and presented a talk to the young women. I love to hear that people are serious about teaching the youth since they need so much guidance now, and I am happy to know that the Lord is continuing to inspire those he calls.

Jenn said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I can always use reminders about the good we can do in our families as wives and mothers. Sometimes it seems our contributions are so small.

I recently had a similar experience to your Young Women presentation, but I wasn't giving a talk to a large group of people - I just needed to have an important conversation with one single person. I wrote notes and I went over and over what I felt I needed to say. Then, right before I went to talk to them, I prayed. I felt a distinct impression that I shouldn't bring any notes with me. I also had a few insights into things I should say and do that I hadn't been planning on. I've heard it said that we need to prepare ourselves at least as much, if not more than we need to prepare what we will say. The spirit will speak through us if we are in tune.

ali cross said...

Hi Noelle. I love that quote by Sister Hinckley ... and I appreciated being reminded of it today.

I usually don't do a very good job of remembering that I have a part to play in Father's role. Oftentimes I feel insecure or lonely and it's hard to have His image in my countenance because I'm not living up to my potential. If I don't believe in ME how can He work through me?

I need to do better at that.

I love this blog! Thanks so much for creating it. I'll put a link to it on my own.

Melanie said...

Noelle,

I love this reminder of the power we can be when we let Him guide our righteous desires.

And knowing you, it was a fabulous lesson, I am sure. You have an amazing ability to encourage and inspire.

Anonymous said...

Thank you-Mel. :) Love ya N