I haven't posted on this blog in a very long time. I feel bad about that. I've been struggling for awhile and I have been trying to figure things out in my life. I have been working on having the spirit, trying to find and strengthen my testimony and finding out where my heart is. Sometimes being sad is alot easier than being happy. But I'm getting back to where I want to be. I want to share with you what helped me remember who I am and where I want to be.
A long time ago I was struggling with different things in my life and was feeling quite down. I had turned to a friend (who was a police officer I was working with) and he suggested I do something that has literally changed my life and touched my heart more than once. His suggestion was simple. I listened to him and figured I would give it a try, but wasn't expecting it to change me the way it has.
He told me to make cards. He said to get some index cards and make 3 categories. On one color of cards to write people I'm grateful for and why. On another color I was to write scriptures and quotes that inspire me. And on the third color I was supposed to write church songs that meant something to me. I wrote the name of my few best friends and family members each on their own cards. And then I wrote what they did to help me and make me a better person. Then I wrote a few very special scriptures and quotes each on their own cards. I picked scriptures and quotes that really inspired me. And then I picked those church songs that can always make me smile, the songs that warm my heart with their music alone and especially with the words. So with each of these written on their own cards I had a small pile. He then told me to take those cards and get them laminated which I did. And then I carried them with me. I don't carry the whole pile, just a card or 2 at a time. I also hung a few in places where I could see them daily, on my mirror and closet door. And whenever I would start to feel down I would read them. They worked amazingly! First of all, after reading the scriptures and quotes over and over I began to memorize them. Remembering the people who are there for me in my life and why I love them and they love me could pick me up no matter how down I was. And reading the song lyrics and singing along in my head could change my thoughts from bad to good or negative to positive in just a few minutes.
I have had those cards, that small stack, for several years. And recently I felt like I needed new ones. So I kept the old ones but have added to the pile. I have added a few more friends. I have added some amazing new songs I've come across. (I am inspired by hymns, primary songs and inspirational songs. I can almost always find solace in uplifting music.) And I have added a few more scriptures and quotes. I don't only appreciate the opportunity to memorize the scriptures, but to really have them in my heart all the time.
What an amazing friend with an incredibly inspired suggestion for a friend who was struggling.
I was given that suggestion about 4 years ago while I was working at Orem PD (by one of the officers I worked with). And I am forever grateful to this officer, such an amazing guy and awesome friend still today, for helping me remember. He told me once that he believed the cards might help me but he didn't know how much. And after he saw how much they inspired me he went ahead and made cards for himself. His name is still at the top of one of my cards, but I am grateful for him in too many ways to write on a single index card. So I know this isn't adequate enough to match my feelings, but thank you for helping me remember!
And if you are feeling low and need to remember the amazing people in your life who love you and feel the spirit that comes from uplifting music and the words of God, then please make cards for yourself. I promise you won't regret it.
Friday, December 3, 2010
Don't forget to remember!
Posted by Kayla at 12:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
This is a WONDERFUL receipe for regaining a spirit of gratitude and walking with the spirit. I really like how it addresses the three different areas. I plan to put this in action. Thanks!
Post a Comment