I love church for so many reasons, but one of the reasons is because I can make new friends at church. Now here's a little confession...I'm not the most active. I got out of the habit of going to church because of my work schedule, and I've been struggling for a long time getting back into the habit. It's been easier not to go. But going to church is something I'm really working on, and now that grandma is able to go back to church more often, I've been going more often too. When we go together I can help her if she needs it, check her oxygen to make sure she doesn't run out of air and take her home if she can't stay any longer.
I think I've mentioned before that I go to my grandparents home ward. There are several women my age in the ward but they are mostly all married with children. I don't feel like I really fit into that group. So alot of times I've felt like my grandma is my friend at church. And I'm ok with her being my friend and I've loved it. But today she only went to Sacrament meeting and needed to go home because she wasn't feeling well. So I ran her home and then went back to church to hear grandpa teach Sunday School. (Usually when I take grandma home I stay home with her, but since grandpa was teaching I went back to church.) Grandpa did great in Sunday school and since I got there late (having taken grandma home) I just sat in the back near the door. Well then Relief Society came along. I decided to just stay in the seat where I was at. I didn't really have anyone to sit with since grandma was at home. I was sitting there, with empty chairs on both sides of me, waiting for Relief Society to start. Then a sweet older sister caught my attention and told me to come sit by her. I didn't know this sister, but I didn't want to sit alone so I went over. She asked me my name and new who I belonged to so we had a few things to talk about. She was so sweet and put her arm around me and made me feel SO welcome. I didn't even feel self conscious that I was alone without anyone I really knew. She was so sweet and shared her manual with me. When Relief Society was over we started talking a little more. She told me she knew my dad, she asked how my health was and my grandma's health. I felt so bad that I had to ask her name, but she told me what it was and didn't think I was rude for not knowing at all. She told me how her husband is suffering with prostrate cancer and they've had alot of help from grandchildren and she thought I was so sweet for helping my grandparents the way I do (even though I could do so much more...my thought, not hers).
As I was about to stand up to head out to my car, this sister gave me a hug. Just that...a hug. And she told me she hoped to see me and my grandma next week and that I could sit with her any time I wanted. That she would love it if I sat with her. And I teared up. I could feel how sincere she was. She truly loved me as a sister in this ward. She's in her 80's but she talked to me like we were old friends and we'd known each other for years. That's one of the reasons why I love the church. The sisters truly care about each other. I've lived here for 9 months and felt like I hadn't really made any friends, but I was looking in the wrong place. I thought I needed to be friends with the girls my age, but I couldn't really relate to them so it wasn't happening. But in reality there are amazing and incredible women of all ages who want to know me and be my friend. A hug, a pat on the leg and sweet smile after I made a comment, the offer to sit with her so I wasn't alone...all of these things could come from anyone. I need to be open to their love. And in return it made me want to share my love with her and everyone else. Tonight in my prayers I will be sure to thank my Heavenly Father for his church, for my gratitude in being prompted to go back to church and not stay home, and especially for my new friend. Sister Hansen, my new friend!
Sunday, April 18, 2010
A New Friend
Posted by Kayla at 9:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I think it's so important for us to be reaching out to each other like Sister Hansen did for you! I used to sit alone, wishing someone would sit by me, while all the time not realizing that other people were sitting alone wishing someone would sit by them! I try now to be the one to go over and say hi. Thanks for sharing your experience. <3
When I think about older people, I think about how they used to be my age, doing the same types of things. It probably feels like just yesterday to them. Life does go so fast. Our spirits should connect, despite the age.
Post a Comment