I often wonder if I am a good enough friend. I try my hardest to always be there for the people that I love. I tell myself that I would do anything for my friends and would give up the things that made me happy if those things would make my friends happy. The Savior is the greatest example of the ultimate sacrifice. Am I emulating the Lord in my relationships with those I love and cherish?
Sometimes I feel like it's difficult to be the kind of friend I want to be. Sometimes it's harder to do the right things because the right things are hard. Right now I'm hurting for a friend. I want to be there for them. I want to be their crying shoulder. I want to be their listening ear. I want them to know that I am there for them no matter what. But they don't want to talk about it. I know they're hurting, they told me they're hurting, but they need to hurt alone. My instinct as a friend says to be there for them, to talk to them and help them. But that's not what they need. Am I a good enough friend to be there for them the way they need me -- meaning to not be there for them right now? I can pray for them, and hope for them, and hurt for them. I can't be there for them physically. I can't be their shoulder, or their ear, or their warm embrace.
It's hard to be a friend sometimes. It's hard for me to emulate the Savior in all that I do. It's hard for me to accept the will of others and to be there for people only when and if they need me. It's hard for me to go against what I want, just to make a friend happy. But I'll do it. I will do anything I can to be there for my friends in the ways they want and need. So I will stay away. I won't ask. I won't press for more details than you want to share. I love you. I'm hurting for you. I'm here for you if you ever need me to be. When you want to cry and need someone with you, I'm here. When you need a hug, I'm here. When you need a friend, please call. Until then, I love you and I'm praying for you! And when you need a friend but don't feel like you can turn to one, turn to the Savior. He loves you. He's here for you. He wants to help you. He doesn't judge. He can be there to hold your hand until you're ready to let someone else. Please let Him!
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Am I a good enough friend?
Posted by Kayla at 8:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I wonder about what kind of friend I am too, sometimes. I get so wrapped up in the drama in my house that I forget that everyone has stuff going on. I feel bad when I learn that my neighbors have been going through a hard time and I didn't even know it. That's definitely something I need to work on.
Wow, Kayla, I think we could all use a friend like you. :)
Post a Comment