The 2009 Mutual theme is
"Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity" (1 Timothy 4:12.)
I'm not in the YW program any more (or, for the time being, as most callings in the Church are cyclical to some degree and chances are I'll be back there again one day), and I really miss it. I still pay attention to YW related things though, and I was curious what their theme was this year. This is a great scripture, and really puts the point on what we, as Latter Day Saints need to be doing, regardless of our age.
Charles W. Dahlquist II, Young Men General President, said "Spiritual heroes can help strengthen [us]."
He challenged all the youth of the Church "to focus this year on identifying their own heroes as well as becoming a hero to someone in need." I would like to presume to extend that challenge to all of us.
Who amongst the leaders of our Church, whether modern or ancient, are your spiritual heroes? How can you become a spiritual hero to someone else?
Dean Burgess, first counselor in the YM General Presidency suggests that we first learn what it means to be a "believer" by coming to know and to understand our divine relationship with the Savior.
Sister Elaine S. Dalton, Young Women General President, said she hoped that the youth of the Church would also look within themselves and determine to be better this year than they ever have been before.
Find your heroes, and decide why it is they are such a great example to you. What is it that is special about them? Then look within yourself and identify those things that are great about you, then strive to emulate your heroes by being your best self.



0 comments:
Post a Comment