Sunday, December 14, 2008

"My Yoke Is Easy"

Something in one of the Sacrament Meeting talks today really touched me. The speaker started out by mentioning a quote I've heard many times - most of you have probably heard it, too: "I never said it would be easy; I only said it would be worth it." When I was in Young Women's, we were given a picture of the Savior with that quote on it and I had it hanging on my mirror for a long time.

The speaker went on to say that since the quote doesn't come from the scriptures, he tried to find a scripture that expresses the same idea to use in his talk, but what he came up with were verses that say basically the opposite thing. The one he quoted was in Matthew 11, verse 29-30.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

I'm sure the author of the first quote had good intentions. They wanted to express the idea that even though life is hard, everything we go through will be worth it when we gain eternal life. But you have to admit that it isn't as hopeful as the scripture that expresses the idea that it doesn't even have to be hard - if we take His yoke upon us, our burdens will be light.

So, I've been thinking about that scripture today. I had an experience recently when my burden was very heavy. I didn't think I could bear it, and I remember thinking of this scripture and praying. I didn't know how to turn my burdens over to Him and take His yoke upon me, but I prayed with faith because the Savior Himself said it was possible. And somehow, He did it. When I gave up and turned everything over to Him, I felt a great sense of peace come over me.

I wonder why the picture I had hanging on my mirror didn't have a quote from the Savior on it. Why do we sometimes use fun little quotes and sayings to try and teach gospel truths instead of going to the scriptures? Maybe some of the youth in the church tune out when you start quoting scripture. Maybe it all seems too familiar and scholarly or something. I don't really know. But I can tell you for sure that "I never said it would be easy; I only said it would be worth it" would never have sent me to my knees to plead for the Lord to help me. The quote does give a little shred of hope that if we keep hanging on by our fingernails, someday all these years of pain will be worth it. But it doesn't show us the way out - it doesn't give us hope that we can have peace right now.

There have been many times in my life when scriptures have popped into my head in answer to problems I'm having, or questions that come up. The better we know the scriptures, the better chance there is that the right scripture will be ready in our minds when we need it. I just think it's so important that we use scriptures when we're preparing a lesson for a church meeting, FHE, or any other teaching opportunity that comes up. I'm really grateful the speaker today wanted to find a scriptural quote to use in his talk instead of mentioning the quote that came to mind and moving on.

5 comments:

Maleen said...

This was really good to hear today. I also believe that we need to know the scriptures so we can answer our kids questions with real truth and not just trendy phrases (although in a pickle, sometimes those help too).

Anonymous said...

I was really touched by what you wrote. I, too, have been carrying a heavy burden. I came here to seek for a little peace and insight. Thank you for being in tune with the spirit. I have a favorite quote by President Benson that I think touches on this subject.

"The moment you begin a serious study of the Book of Mormon, you will find a greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path...When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance."

I also think that as we hunger and thirst after these words our capacity to bear our trials will increase and our desire to turn to our Father and lay our burden at His feet will also increase. Thank you again-Jennifer, for your words. It was just what I needed to hear. N

Melanie said...

I never really liked that first quote all that much, and now I know why. In the midst of trial, what we really need to get us through is hope. My visiting teachers talked last month about Pres. Uchtdorf's talk on hope. It seems to be a subject I need to study more about.

I have always loved your insights on spiritual matters.

Jer said...

Jen, that was a killer entry. Thanks for writing, it gives me some more to think about.

Grandpa & Grandma Tanner said...

Thank you so much for sharing that with all of us. I too know that when I have turned to the Lord for comfort and support he has always been there and helped to lift the burden and not just made me carry it alone.